sun smart hats
the story behind Emthunzini hats
The owners, Gilly and Sandy, whilst holidaying on a sunny beach in Thailand, met up with their long standing friends from Australia.
Victoria was wearing a fantastic, attractive, colourful sunhat.
Gilly, whose past experiences have taught her to recognize a great product when she sees one, was smitten and instantly wanted one.
They immediately made enquiries about bringing the hats onto the South African market, especially as nothing similar appeared to be available.
Spurred on by compliments received from friends and family ‘Emthunzini Hats’ was launched in 2009. Click here to download the catalogue.
why do we stock them?
We absolutely love these hats! They protect your face, head and neck from the harsh sun rays, they are, colourful, stylish and ever so personal as they addressed with funky names, such as Gilly (I wonder why), Roxy and Oscar
why are they so unique?
- They are squash-able and crushable, making them perfect for travelling in your suitcase
- Lightweight with a soft weave, allowing the breeze to flow through and keep you head cool
- Hidden drawstring so you can customize to fit most head sizes.
- Feature an extensive range of styles and colours for women, men and children (mostly unisex).
- Made out of 100% polyester (except a few), making them machine knitted hand washable.
- Carry the Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA) Seal of Recognition (CSOR) and have the UPF50+ swing ticket.
why are they sun smart?
The meaning of Emthunzini, is ‘shelter’ in Zulu, which describes them in the most appropriate way, as they have the highest rating of UPF50+ (Ultraviolet protection factor, given to clothing to indicate how effectively the fabric blocks ultraviolet (UV) radiation).
The hats also meet with the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) requirements and are endorsed by the Skin and Cancer Foundation for Australia.